Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day 83 - Graduated from my yellow elastic band to a red elastic band!


Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013 - Week 20

I think this morning was the best I ever felt! I felt ok stepping out of bed and didn't have too much pressure or stiffness. I am starting to walk a bit faster and the bruising feeling is narrowing down even more. I still have this tiny limp, and walking on hills is still a bit funky. 

I saw Colleen today and went practiced the new balancing exercises we did the last time we met. These new exercises are really tiring me out, and I am more sore then usual. I've also asked her for some stomach toning exercises and she gave me two types of plank exercises. The regular push up stance planks, and side body planks but using my elbows and knees to start because my body and ankle is still not strong enough yet. This time we reviewed my Elastic band ankle exercises. There's only three stretches, left right, and up and down. She said she would like me using the red elastic band now to replace the yellow one, because red one is more advanced and has more resistance. She allowed me to keep this one. I felt like I've just graduated another level in my physical therapy session. I was so happy! 


My line walking forward and backwards from toe to heel are getting better with balance and more in control. It appears my backwards walking in a line balance looks more controlled. I am still struggling with the single right foot toe raises. There's a lot of pressure and it just feels like my entire body is so heavy when I try to lift it with just my toes and the balls of my foot. However, my left foot is fine and very strong and was able to lift my body without any issues. My last exercise was the heel lifts on the shuttle machine. She had added on even more weight this week and I could definitely feel the difference. I didn't have trouble with it at all when alternating sides for single leg heel lifts. I finish the session with the usual bag of ice to go. Only scheduled 2 more days of physical therapy and we'll see what happens! I see my surgeon tomorrow and very excited to show him this visit I am completely off my crutches and ankle brace! It's only been a month and I've improved so much in so little time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment