Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day 321 - 1 Year Ankleversary!



Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - Week 53

Happy 1 Year Ankleversary to me!!!

It's been exactly 1 year since I've broken my ankle! Time really flew by. I still can't believe, just thinking back how I was in a cast for close to 3 months and another 5 months of physical therapy.

I went from crutches, splint, cast, surgery, a plate with 9 screws, and now back on my feet! 


1 Year ago, a little too happy after the emergency room and some morphine haha. Shortly after I was inside Walgreens waiting for my pain meds and gagging into a to go throw up bag given to me from leaving the emergency room. 


1 Year later, my right ankle is of course bigger then the left because of the hardware inside. My scar is still somewhat the same. I consider myself still recovering. I am not completely 100% as expected. I would say I'm about a 97% today. I just got back from a mini weekend vacation to NYC and was able to walk from 9:30am - about 3am. However, I was sort of limping by the end of the night and was extremely tired. I do notice, if I do go hiking or running for close to an hour, I will go home a bit limpy and very sore. The sore will then last about 3 days. I should possibly shorten my runs to half an hour or even to 15 minutes. Gradually build back up and continue running at the track. I have been cycling on a stationary bike at home for the moment. I'm so excited! Can't believe still how fast time flew by and to remember what I went through at the beginning was tough. I've made it through and now I'm here happy and able to do my everyday normal things again. =) I'll see how I feel in another few months. I definitely feel improvement as the days move forward. I still continue my stretches and some of the physical therapy exercises most days. To a better year of recovering!


7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your Ankleversary ! I have been reading your blog for 3 months now since I broke my ankle.
    I bought some 5 photo dit da jow and just rubbed some in.
    I shattered just my right tiba and had two plates and 12? Screws put in with a front and back incision
    Still just 50% weight bearing with a CAM boot on
    Good to read your blog and am looking forward to MY Ankleversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DanielAnimal! Haha fun name. Aw, hope you're healing fast. I hope the dit da jow works fro you. You've got a lot of hardware in your ankle. How did you break it if you don't mind me asking? How long ago did you break it? The most tough part of it is over and you can only feel and get better everyday going forward. Once you are able to do physical therapy, I'd suggest to keep up with the exercises. It really does make a huge difference to help with strengthening and healing faster over time. Your Ankleversary will be here in no time!

      Delete
    2. file:///Users/me/Desktop/Pages/1.html
      Jen I'm trying to send you a photo of my xray.

      Delete
    3. I think that will work if you go to that address. Anyway, I fell off a ladder at the end of June.
      My mistake for sure, it was a pilon fracture of the right tibia.
      Have used your blog for info and support and recommendation this long summer.
      I used to live in San Francisco for 10 years during the 80's and my oldest daughter was born there.
      She lives there now in Bernal Heights!
      This broken ankle business has been a real challenge and you have helped me by sharing your experience.
      Thanks!!

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the pic but I can't see it. Ouch, sounded like a very painful fall. I'm so sorry. Accidents happen. I hope you're not in pain anymore. Bernal Heights is a beautiful place! This broken ankle is definitely a challenge I will never forget. I am sooo happy to hear that I am able to help you through my stories! Thank you so much! I have searched so many forums and blogs to find anything that would ease my mind on what to expect days, weeks, months and years from the day my ankle broke and was not able to find anything that was even close to what I was looking for and so I started this blog to hopefully help someone to somewhat understand the entire process and progress. I know each person heals differently but an idea of it would have helped put me at ease. We have to be very patient and things will eventually get better! Thank you again! I am very excited to hear this has helped you =)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete