Sunday, February 1, 2015

2 years 5 months - ~10 mile hike at Mission Peak, sore and tired!

Sunday, February 1, 2015

It's Super Bowl Sunday and my friends and I went hiking at Mission Peak! Go Patriots! 

NFL Super Bowl XLIX
Final - Sunday, February 1, 3:30 PM
University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona


We've all never been and live som close! It was only about an hour drive up north from San Francisco. Bought some delicious vietnamese sandwiches from Sing Sing for breakfast/snack. 

We drove to the other entrance which turns out to be a longer walking route. It was relaxing and still beautiful! 


We walked on cement, gravel, soil, grass, and a tiny rock trail to the top! A lot of uneven paths which was indeed a great workout for my ankle. Because I was told it would take about 2 hours to get to the top, I decided not to bring my walking poles, and to not use my ankle brace. The ankle brace was in my bag! 


It was defnitely a lot of uphill walking. Towards the top, it was a steeper incline. I wished I did bring my poles then. It would have given me that extra support for sure! Next time I'll bring it. 


I made it to the top without any issues! No pain! Started to feel sore and tired though. 


Going down was dangerous, I was so happy to have my trail shoes on. It had great gripping. Going down hills have always been a bit weird for me. I always find myself leaning/walking down towards the left. I'm guessing because of the metal in my right ankle is so straight against the bone, it doesn't really let my ankle bend correctly when I take steps down hills. And when I go uphills, I find that it is more comfortable for me to walk up diagonally versus straight up the hill. By the time I got all the way to the bottom, I definitely felt sore and exhausted. My friends wore their fitbits and recorded their steps. We hiked about 10 miles! I was sort of limping by the end. I'd do it again for more my ankle because I felt great at the end! New Years resolution is to hike more this year! Will bring my poles next time. So much fun and a great workout! I'm ready for the next hike at Muir Woods next week! I'm excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment