Tuesday, September 25, 2018

6 years - Ankleversary!

Monday - September 24, 2018

It's my 6th year Ankleversary! 

I'm doing great! I just came back from a weekend spent in Napa. I went hiking on trails, wore my hiking trail shoes and did just fine. I get the occasional arthritis from the cold weather and rain still. Sometimes when I walk for too long, I do get tired and achy. 

My scar is the same. I haven't used any scar medication to cover it up. I wear it proudly. I don't swell up anymore. I do get tired after very very long walks. Long hikes meaning 3+ hours worth of walking. Sometimes I'll get a tiny itch at the very bottom of my scar, I guess the collagen there still gets inflamed every so often. I do feel the arthritis kick in during cold weather, rain and when rain is about to begin. Fun random spasms also still happen, not often. To this day, I still think about removing the hardware but won't dare to get surgery again if I don't need it or feel any pain. I can live without 3 inch stilettos. 2 inch heals are as high as I go unless I am wearing thick or wedged heels for that additional support. 



I continue to go to the gym to attend Cycle class, Body Combat class, Zumba Strong class, and use the elliptical machine. 

I debated this year on joining a 5k run but backed out. I know I can't run, it's uncomfortable for me. I still choose not to run to avoid any type of stress or injury. I also haven't joined any competitive sports since. I go to Costco to help my family buy rice and carrying a 25 lb. bag of rice up a flight of stairs is getting better. I'm still working on strengthening my ankle doing more walking and hiking. My Fitbit motivates me. I haven't had to wear a brace for a while now.

Maybe I'll be more brave this year and will try something new. Updates to come! 






7 comments:

  1. Hi! I am Luisa from Colombia. Hope you understand my english :P

    Last july 28th I broke my right ankle and had surgery last august 14th... so... I'm just starting this path. I'm looking forward to start therapy soon, hopefully next week :)

    I wanted to ask you from the moment of your surgery, when could you start walking, even if it was just a little bit? And, I love running, I really want to run again, it's like my yoga.. from your experience, after a broken ankle and recovery, is it possible to run again?

    Thank your for reading this and taking the time to answer. Have a great week :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luisa, nice to meet you! Thank you for your comment! I am so sorry to hear about your injury. I am happy to see that you're in great spirits!

      To answer your question, I had surgery on Sept. 24 and took my first steps in December, down to one crutch for support, and limping. I also do love running and ran almost everyday prior. It's all dependent on how fast you recover, the type of surgery and how much damage was done on your ankle. Also dependent on your progress with your Physical therapy and whatever your doctor suggests from reviewing your xrays and recovery.

      Yes! It is possible to run again! I did so on the track as instructed by my Physical Therapist. I tried on cement and soil, it was too much for me to handle so I quit all together. Given that I do still have the hardware in my ankle. If you decide to remove your hardware, if you have any, that may be a different story for you completely. But everyone experiences their recovery differently. As long as you follow your recovery instructions and heal correctly, you'll know how ready you are to begin running again.

      I hope this helps!

      I hope for your fast recovery! All the best to you! =)

      Delete
  2. Hey! I've been following the blog ever since I had surgery on my ankle. I even saw you pop up on the facebook group. I wanted to let you know that I had my hardware removed 1 year ago, and it was the best decision I've made. I wasn't having any issues at all with the hardware other than the mental aspect of knowing that I had metal in there, and could feel the screws! After the removal surgery my ankle felt like it was MINE again, and it was amazing! It doesn't feel terrible if I bump it on something, it simply feels like the other one! As for the surgery, it was a night and day difference from the original surgery. I walked out of the OR on 1 crutch, and the doctor told me to start walking on it as soon as I could! I was able to walk crutch-free as soon as my nerve block wore off, and there was hardly any surgical pain (my original surgery was one of the most painful things I've ever gone though). As soon as he took the stitches out, I put on a tennis shoe in the doc's office, and carried on as I normally would. He told me to not do anything "too crazy" for the next 4 months while the holes filled in! Good luck, and if you have any inclination on getting the hardware out, you should strongly consider it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey everyone. I’ve recently had Fibula Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation surgery on January of 2018 due to a hockey injury. I have a plate and six screws. I’m hoping to have the hardware removed. I’m worried about going back to the same doc. My scar looks nothing like yours. It’s really upsetting to say the least. I wish I could send a photo. They only gave me internal sutures with no outer stitches or staples. I assume with such a weak hold on the incision it pulled apart and caused it to heal this way.... I’m wondering when you had the plate removed if they cut open on the same scar? I’m hoping that when I go to get plate removed they can also repair the ugly scar and suture job from before... Any feedback or helps us appreciated!

      Could you let me know who did your surgery? The scar you have looks amazing!!!

      Delete
    2. They typically go through the same incision area for the removal (usually a little shorter though). I think scars are more in the way the person heals vs. how well the surgeon did.

      Delete
    3. That's great news! Thank you for the update on your decision and recovery! It's very helpful! How are you feeling now after a few months? Happy New Year!

      Delete
    4. I would have to say at this point (I was 1 year post removal in November), my ankle feels great. The best part is not having that weird sensation when I wear certain shoes, etc. It's still somewhat limited in flexibility compared to the other ankle, but it's nothing I ever notice unless I'm trying to squat! Happy New Year!

      Delete