Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Day 84 - Last follow up appointment with my Surgeon!


Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2013 - Week 20

Today was the last follow up appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Lundy!

I came in to his office for the first time without any crutches nor ankle brace! I paid for my copay for the visit and after about 5 minutes of waiting I was lead in to my room to wait for Dr. Lundy. In he comes and I was ready for him. I had my shoes and socks off already. He viewed my scar and said it looked really good. There was more movement around the scar area which he liked seeing. Then he had me move my ankle up, down, and side to side. Then asked if I was in pain and how I was doing. I was completely fine moving up and down. Still some stiffness and not completely able to move side to side still. Everything sounded and looked good. Then we reviewed how long it has been since my cast came off and told him I have scheduled only 2 more visits with the Physical Therapist. He then said this will be our last meeting until I have any issues and would like to get checked out then. It's up to me. I'm FREE! My eyes lit up with happiness! He said it would take between 9-12 months before I'll be close to my normal self again. Currently I am at about 5.5 months. I will continue to feel the stiffness around my ankle until then. Just keep up with the exercises and I should be fine. He said that in about 6 months time, if the metal is bothering me and I'm in pain, I can get back in touch to set up another surgery to get the metal removed. Dr. Lundy said that most people are not bothered by it and wouldn't need to remove it, and a very small percentage of people do have it removed. I quickly responded with a "I'm OK now, no thanks!" It's way too soon at this point to even get surgery to remove it if I wanted to now he says. My ankle is too fragile at this point anyway. I can't even imagine having surgery again. I'm so happy to say, I'm FREE!



No comments:

Post a Comment