Tuesday, September 26, 2017

5 Years Ankleversary!


Sunday - September 24, 2017

Happy 5 years Ankleversary to me! 

I can't believe another year just flew by. I've progressed and met a few more milestones this year! I'm still bionic with a plate and 9 nails, retired from wearing 3 inch stilettos (but I can wear 3 inch wedged shoes!), and my scar is still 3.5 inches long. 

For the first time in years, this was the year I was finally comfortable enough to sleep on this ankle. Full ankle against the bed! This was something I've waited for a very long time! I've always felt sensitive before and it took this long for me to finally get use to laying my ankle onto a surface with weight! However, some boots that cover up to my ankle still bother me if it is too tight. Even shows with ankle straps bother me if it's too tight so I avoid them completely unless the straps are under my ankle. Just nothing on it feels good. So yes, I am still sad about retiring from snowboarding. I just can't do it. 


While I also miss running, I've completely retired from that as well. It was too much to run. Before my accident, I use to run about 4 times a week. I miss it so much! Now I'm adjusting to getting older and the weight gain because my activity level isn't as active as I was before with all that running. However, I have increased my gym visits. I do take a lot of classes. Twice a week Cycling, Zumba, Body Combat, and the Elliptical machine on days I don't have a class. The best class for my ankle is Cycling. Sometimes ankle does get tired from all the jumps and steps from Zumba and Body Combat. 


I finally bought a Fitbit this year to encourage myself to walk more. I did over 12K steps today! It's always a battle with my friends so it's definitely a motivator. I'm just cautious about getting older and wanting to build a stronger ankle. So I've been walking more. Walking to work, hiking, and taking the stairs instead of the elevator.

                  

Once in a while when I walk a bit too long or carry things that are too heavy, I do feel pressure in my ankle. I'll walk and randomly feel a tiny pinch or my ankle just buckles in a quick spasm like pain. It's weird. But the most important part is trying to stay healthy and working out when I can to make my ankle stronger. I can wear 2 inch heels but nothing higher. However, I can wear wedges if I want more height. That extra support really does help me feel confident in walking safely. I'm excited for this new year to see what new things I'll try. Updates to come! The cold and rainy days are near. I'm curious to find out how my arthritis will feel. Winter is coming! I also can't wait to watch Game of Thrones haha!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Bionic Buglady, thank you for your comment! That is great news with your blog! I find comfort in reading how others are healing as well. It gives me strength to my own, continuous recovery. Thank you! I wish you all the best in your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your blog. I recently had ankle
    Surgery so I am anxious about the healing process. A quick question, why can't you wear stilettos anymore?

    ReplyDelete