Thursday, November 22, 2012

Cast Removal Day!

Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2012 - Week 8

I have never been more excited! The cast comes off today! I can't believe it has been about 2 months in this thing!

I finally arrive at Dr. Lundy's office at 8:30am. It was a short wait and never been more ready to get this cast off of me. Dr. Lundy comes in and so we start. He explained the saw would not hurt the skin because it moves back and forth to cut. He makes an incision to the left and another to the right and a clamp to remove the cast! It's really coming off! Goodbye to the sweet and kind art on my cast from my friends!


Freedom! It feels so good to have air against my leg. It feels stiff from being restricted in a cast for so long. It's gotten so small, hairy, dark, and so dry and scabby.  Surprisingly it doesn't smell.

Embrace yourself for the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmr86WRBFT4



On the other side of my ankle was where the torn ligaments are from my dislocated ankle. Dr. Lundy planned on opening up to reconnect my ligaments but didn't have to. He said he would know what to do once he opens me up to see what's happening. Xrays also show that I didn't need any work done. So he left it alone to heal on its own. Phew!



Next thing is the removal of my dressing. There is a lot of dead skin and scabs around the area. I was ready to see my surgical incision. I was also very nervous at the same time. At this point, my ankle has been twitching randomly. I guess it's because it's not being supported anymore and the muscles have some movement again.


I'm sorry for the gross image. When Dr. Lundy removed the dressing, a bit of it stuck to my surgical incision and made it bleed just a bit. As you can see, my skin is really raw and sensitive. The darker color is the dead skin and from the iodine used just before going into surgery. I am ready for a shower! I can shower but can't bathe the foot. As for now, I have to keep an eye on my incision and make sure it's healing.


Instead of the boot I was said to get, I got an ankle brace! I can wear shoes! That's if it fits haha. One more trip to get xrays and I am free to go! 



Half of my journey is over. It's time to start my search for a Physical Therapist to go in twice a week as prescribed. On to getting back on my feet! I'll be back in 6 weeks for another followup on January 4. I look forward to the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment